Saturday 3 January 2009

Day 3 - I don't want to do this any more!

Time: 09:04
Distance: 3.15mi
Time: 26:32 (8m25 average, mile (or part mile) times: 8m09, 8m54, 8m24, 7m18)

Morning heartrate: not sure, it kept disappearing!



It was really hard work today. To start with, I woke up with what felt like the start of a cold. I went out early as we've got a busy day, and the thermometer said -2.3C - so lovely and warm then. To be honest, I don't really mind the cold as long as I've got some gloves on. Today, I went in shorts (my long running trousers are in the wash!), a t-shirt and a lightweight jacket and gloves. My hands were pretty cold despite the gloves up until a bit after mile 2, by which time I'd rolled my sleeves up on the jacket and taken the gloves off.

I deliberately kept it slow at the beginning today - I did more or less the same route as Jan 1st (a slight detour to the shop at the end so I could get some milk for my porridge). However, I found it pretty difficult going slow, and the uphills were horrible - I felt like I could hardly drag myself up. It was at the end of on fairly big hill that I thought "I don't want to do this anymore!" - I think that was the first point that I realised how hard this could be, at least at the beginning.

It seems strange writing about how hard 3 miles is. I picked the distance as it's one that I can pretty much do without thinking about - I've done several 15+ mile runs in marathon training, albeit a while back. And yet, do 3 days in a row, with the first couple a bit fast and it starts getting quite hard. While part of me hates the discomfort (I won't use the word pain as it's just uncomfortable at the moment - even at the worst points), a bigger part of me is really looking forward to seeing what the outcome of these 31 days of running is going to be. Hopefully, someone who doesn't worry about going running any day, is fitter, healthier (and with any luck a bit lighter!).

I'm going to buy some new shoes this afternoon, and try them out on tomorrows run. It's always nice running in new shoes, and the next few days should have that as an added bonus!

Until tomorrow...

No comments: