Sunday 11 January 2009

Day 11 - Ouch

Today I kept it slow and went for a run in the New Forest. Not too much to report except for the fact that despite icing my tibia/calf yesterday for several hours and again this morning for a bit of time, it hurt quite a lot by the end of the 3 miles today.

My speed was about 8m26 or so average for the lot - so not fast at all. The hills were hard work, and actually the flats were quite hard as well. I seem to be having one good day then one bad day at the moment - will have to see how it goes tomorrow.

I was genuinely worried at the end of todays run as my shin in getting more and more painful and I really was wondering how I would manage any more runs. I'm going to continue to ice it, and probably put some ibuprofen gel on tomorrow before running, but I think I need to try and find the cause of this. If it's an overuse injury, then I'm inevitably going to have to break this everyday running at some point soon. I'm not sure how these things work, but I don't want it to turn into a stress fracture and put me off running for a longer period of time.

It seems that taking it easy doesn't make a lot of difference. The worst thing is running shorter strides down hill, and I found that afterwards I could make it hurt by pointing my toes and twisting my foot inwards at the same time (i.e. for my left leg, first pointing my toes out straight then angling them towards the right while still out straight). I've just tried it again and while it doesn't hurt now it does seem to pull a bit in the area that's sore.

I'll do a bit of stretching, massage and icing tonight and see how things go. We'll have to see how the run is tomorrow lunchtime...

No comments: