Monday 19 January 2009

Day 18

It's getting a bit dull, this running thing. I'm not going to stop doing it, but the inevitability of the run is somehow less fun than trying to think of new and exciting ways to get out of having to go for a run!

The run today (Sunday) was not a bad one - I was doing 6m59 average at the quarter mile point, and faster than 7m30 at about 0.8 miles, but then it started dropping off rapidly as I met a hill. It really feels like my ability to handle anything hard has gone and I go through the floor. I really want to work on that over the next 10 days or so, once I'm sure my legs back to normal.

On the leg - I felt it for most of the run, but it was a tightness, a discomfort rather than a pain. It's definitely getting much, much better. I'm easing off on the massage (more through forgetting), periodically icing (trying to remember after runs) and almost given up with the ibuprofen gel, but the one thing that has been consistent all along is the sorbothanes. I'm not going to take them out until everything is completely back to normal, and then I'm expecting twinges fairly quickly afterwards. If I'm right, then it's off to the doctor with a good load of evidence to attempt to get this sorted - maybe with orthotics to boost my arch?

I'm writing this on Monday, sat at work. It's a rainy, dull day today, and I have Aikido tonight, so it's definitely a run at lunch time. The work shower is broken, so I'll probably be going on my own as everyone else seems to be unable to have a sensible wash without a shower (admittedly, I'd rather have a shower, but I'm not going to throw away 18 days of consecutive running just 'cause it's broken!).

I'll update later (probably tomorrow) about how todays run goes, but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering. The biggest thing is that if there is no real pain from my leg, I might attempt my old 4.5 mile loop - I've got about 3 miles extra to do to get to 100 miles this month, and if I do the 4.5 miles today that will be half of it!

No comments: