Thursday 5 February 2009

Well, I say...

So, 31 days in a row, then 4 days off. Then this:

Mile 1: 6m57
Mile 2: 6m58
Mile 3: 6m51

5k: 21:26 (6m54)

Then 2 miles back uphill (8m16 average).

Blimey! I enjoyed that. I didn't intend to do it that fast - I just told myself before I left that I'd run how I felt. I felt good for the first 2.5 miles really, then I couldn't let it drop below 7min/mile so I gasped my way to 5k (making all sorts of embarrassing noises running along the road!)

I had a breather and a little walk afterwards, and then slowly jogged back up the hill. I didn't want to run the bit back, but I decided that it will be the miles that help keep the speed going (if that makes sense?).

While in the shower, I think I finally understood how to get fast at running. Run lots. And make some of the "lots" fast. For January, I averaged over 20 miles per week and put in a performance like this at the beginning of February. If I look back over my history since I had the Garmin, the best times are always after the most running. So it seems you can't cut corners - you just have to run and run and run.

Lucky I'm enjoying it at the moment :-)

I did some more press ups and sit ups yesterday, and they were very painful - my pecs ache like hell! I know in a few days they'll stop, and I can catch up on those 60 that I owe to get the average up over the month. I also did 45 minutes of stretching, so I'm OK with that (10 minutes per day average) - I enjoyed it last night while watching Hustle, so I'll try again tonight to do a load while watching the TV.

I did go out for that walk yesterday lunch time, and here are some of the pics that I took up on the heath area near work. These were all taken with my 10-20mm lens (ultra wide angle) which I haven't used for a while:



No comments: